Gunston-Hall, March 8th. 1789.
I am sorry I am disappointed in shipping all our Wheat by the Ship Maryland; but it was impossible to help it; the bad weather which delayed Mr. McCarty's Boat so long, also prevented Mr. Linton's Vessel from getting out of Quantico Creek, until it was too late to send up any more Wheat for this Ship; but I shall depend upon getting Room for what we have left, in the Becky; and as I expect she will be quickly dispatch'd, it may probably make no great Differrence to me; and I beg you will get the Matter so fixed, that I may not be again disappointed. The Bearer, Mr. McCarty's Shipper, brings up eight or nine Hhds. of Tobo. for my Son George.
You will be pleased to let me know, by a Line, when he returns, at what time the Ship Becky will certainly be ready to take in Wheat, & I will begin to send ours up immediately; and if this can not be Yet known; as soon as it can, you will be good to inform me, by a Letter per Post; directed to be left at the Post Office in Colchester; as I shall be anxious to get our Wheat up in due time. My People went down again, as soon as the River opened, to Chickamuxan, to inspect my Tobo. & dispatch Messrs. F. & S.s Craft; but have not yet return'd. I imagine the hard Frost, last Wednesday night, stop'd up the mouth of Chickamuxan Creek; or perhaps the low Tides have kept the Craft aground. She will surely be up, the first good Day; & I hope will bring up my Tobo. in time for the Ship Maryland. I am dear Sir, Your most obdt. Sert.
I hope to see Capt. Rose, as the Ship comes down.